One of the most important components of your home is the roof. The roof is your protection from weather elements and mother nature; therefore, it is important for it to be kept in top condition.Many homeowners are unsure of how to maintain their roofs. Some of the most common mistakes you might be making with your roof are as follows:
- Not keeping it clean: It may not seem like a big deal, but debris and dirt buildup can ruin your roof by causing the roofing material to decay.
- Over-insulating your home: A common mistake is over-insulating your home. This can lead to ventilation issues such as in an attic. The ventilation issues in turn cause moisture buildup and mold which can lead to structural damage.
- Power washing your roof: Pressure washers can loosen tiles or shingles or even leave water underneath your roof. A standard hose with a good scrubbing should keep your roof clean. If not, a knowledgeable roofer can help.
- Covering shingles: Avoid taking this common shortcut and make sure to replace old shingles rather than just covering them.
- Not inspecting it regularly: In addition to regularly inspecting your roof, you should also be checking the attic. Mold growth and excessive humidity in your attic are signs you may have a roofing issue.
- Ignoring leaks or water damage: A tiny drip or a little watermark may not seem like a big deal but when it comes to roofs a small fix can quickly become a large replacement.
The above mistakes are some of the more common mistakes you may be making with your roof. The biggest mistake you can make however is not hiring a trusted, reputable, experienced roofing company. Attempting a DIY project or having a friend take a look is rarely a good idea. While a few of the strategies in upkeeping, your roof may appear to be simple, others may warrant a call to your local roofing contractor. At Crown Roofing, we have the knowledge and expertise to work with all types of roofing systems. If you need roof repair, roof maintenance, or a new roof, our expert professionals can take care of it for you. Crown Roofing handles all types of roofing systems from tile, shingle, slate, and metal. There is no job that is too small and no task that is too big. Crown Roofing has offices across Central, South, and Southwest Florida. Contact us today for a free estimate.