Table of Contents
Flat or low sloped roofs are often debated in roofing conversations due to their unique advantages and disadvantages in comparison to other types of roofs. Flat roofs are defined as having a pitch (slope) of 10 degrees or less. It is important when making a decision regarding what type of roof to install to be aware of the positives and negatives of installing a flat roof.
Flat Roofing Benefits
The benefits of installing a flat roof can be broken down into 3 main benefits: Expense, space, and access.
- Expense: Between the materials used and the installation costs, flat roofs are often generally less expensive than other types of roofs.
- Space: The additional space a flat roof generates is significant. The rooftop space can be utilized for living space, gardening, air conditioning units, solar panels, and more. Furthermore, a flat roof will provide more interior space for attics or other floor plans.
- Access: Because of the minimal or zero-degree slope, flat roofs are much more easily accessed than sloped roofs. This is especially helpful for when your roof needs repaired or the gutters need cleaned. The access is also helpful should you choose to install solar panels or a satellite dish.
While there are many benefits to flat roofs, there important disadvantages that need to be considered as well. Flat roofs have difficulty draining because of the lack of slope which can lead to water puddles and leaks from the roofing material breaking down. Finally, there is a lack of material options for flat roofs. The material options that are available such as rubber, EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer), hot asphalt modified bitumen, and TPO (thermoplastic polyolefin) are all reasonably inexpensive, however have a limited lifespan (10-15 years).
Replacing or repairing a roof is an expensive undertaking for any homeowner or building owner. It is important to be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of each type of roof in order to ensure you make the right decision for your needs. A qualified, experienced roofer can help assist you in making your final decision should you face the predicament of needing to install a new roof on your home or building.
If you are considering a new roof for your home or business, flat roofing is a great option to consider. It offers a number of benefits that can save you money and improve your property’s value.
Here are some additional benefits of flat roofing:
- Energy efficiency: Flat roofs can be made more energy-efficient by installing insulation and reflective coatings. This can help to reduce your heating and cooling costs.
- Disaster resistance: Flat roofs are less likely to be damaged by wind or hail than other types of roofs. This can help to protect your property from damage during severe weather events.
- Noise reduction: Flat roofs can help to reduce noise pollution from traffic or other sources. This can create a more peaceful and relaxing environment for you and your family.
- Easier maintenance: Flat roofs are also easier to maintain than other types of roofs. This is because they are easier to access and inspect.
- Longer lifespan: Flat roofs can last for many years with proper maintenance. This makes them a good investment for both commercial and residential properties.
- Versatility: Flat roofs can be used for a variety of purposes, such as installing solar panels or creating rooftop gardens.
In addition to these benefits, flat roofs offer a number of other advantages in 2023. For example, they can be made more energy-efficient by installing insulation and reflective coatings. This can help to reduce your heating and cooling costs. Flat roofs are also less likely to be damaged by wind or hail than other types of roofs. This can help to protect your property from damage during severe weather events. Finally, flat roofs can help to reduce noise pollution from traffic or other sources. This can create a more peaceful and relaxing environment for you and your family.
Know Who to Call
Crown Roofing specializes in the installation and design specification of many different hot asphalt modified bitumen roofing manufacturers and systems. We are one of South Florida’s leading roofing contractors when it comes to advising you on what system works best for you. We work with most major manufacturers such as GAF, Johns Manville, Firestone, Soprema, Certainteed and more.
Here are some tips for choosing a flat roofing contractor:
- Get multiple estimates from qualified contractors.
- Ask about the contractor’s experience with flat roofing.
- Make sure the contractor is licensed and insured.
- Get everything in writing, including the scope of work, the price, and the warranty.
By following these tips, you can be sure to choose a qualified flat roofing contractor who will provide you with a quality roof that will last for many years.
Contact us today for a free evaluation of your projects specific needs and allow us to develop a specification and solution for you.